Monday, June 2, 2008

not your average cop-out

Today was the first day of the last week of classes and my last week in Cairo, for now, I’ll be back. I have lots of studying/writing in Arabic to do and a busy day tomorrow—we’re finally visiting the Cairo Museum and then we have dinner reservations, that I’ll probably opt out of, and a soccer game with some Egyptians friends by the pyramids.

Everything is going really fast. I’m sorry I haven’t kept up, responded to emails etc. We were in Alexandria Friday and Saturday and I volunteered on Sunday. One week from today we’re leaving Cairo for Marsah Matruh and Siwa. The 14th we’re going to Abu Dhabi and the 18th we’re going to Dubai. We’re returning to Cairo on the 19th and flying back to the United States on the 20th.

I have a couple stories and lots of thoughts that I will post as time permits. I’ve written some stuff out in my journal which I will transfer…be patient.


And just 'cause I'm writing anyway, today we--Tara, Katharine, Oscar and I went to another mall in Cairo to look for business clothes to wear to the conference in Abu Dhabi. The number of skimpy going out clothes again shocked me. And this was no western style mall. Mary suggested it and said it was aimed at middle class Egyptians. *sigh* There were short skirts in one store that shocked me, and compared to the norm in the United States, they nothing too skimpy. We'll see how I dress when I get back. I'm thinking it's going to take me a little while to feel comfortable bearing skin again--though knowing myself, maybe not... but either way, I have different opinions about dressing modestly now and more respect for those who choose to. I see why women who come to the United States don't take off their head scarves.

OK. No time now...

Cya

Lily

No comments: