Monday, May 19, 2008

How to--have a cultural exchange--

Cultural exchange. Peers. Stereotypes. Understanding. Talk.

Dialogue.

Tonight 35 Americans “dialogued” with a similar number of Egyptians at the Fulbright Scholar center in Cairo. What I expected, I’m not sure. It was definitely one of the oddest cases of formality and free for all I’ve ever encountered.

Denis had us count-off to divide into four equal groups of Egyptians and Americans and branch off into four different rooms where professor moderated, and at times dictated, our discussions.

During the fifteen minute break in the middle and even more so at the end the small lobby, where goodies and coffee were laid out, was noisier than the streets of Cairo, which is saying a lot.

Our conversations ranged from the honking phenomena in Cairo to politics—mostly American, to media instilling terror and harassment in the streets.

Despite the science project-like set-up of the program, we're going places. Students are out together now and me and others are meeting tomorrow. The real dialogue is just beginning….

I have many thoughts on the content of our evening, what my fellow Americans said as well as the Egyptians, that however, must wait for another post.

I'm excited for the next few weeks....


No comments: