Monday, May 19, 2008

Islamic Cairo

I was excited to tour Islamic Cairo because of the Arabic supposedly thrown into the tour, to understand more about the structures which most Arabs hold so dear and because I was dying to explore Islamic Cairo.
I read a lot in my guide book about dirt roads, small allies and traditional foods and dress--this I thought will be a real taste of Egyptian culture.
What I wasn't expecting was to feel a connection with the Mosques themselves.
A girl of multiple religions, loyal to none and only spiritual in the loosest freest sense I expected to value the Mosques only because of their place in society.
The Mosque of Ibn Tulun pictured to to the left, was my favorite. Built in 870 AD by the Tulunid Dynasty who had Turkish and Iraqi connections. It is simplistic, majestic, strangely spiritual and above all peaceful. It is also the oldest Mosque in Cairo and I believe the third largest in the world. I would have loved to stay a while longer, pull out a book or my journal.
Imen our tour guide told us the pillars in the Mosque are specifically placed slightly out of line so all are visible, i.e. nothing is hidden. It adds to the sense of open space and freedom. Gives a sense of confidence and security.
We climbed up the minaret--where the prayers are called from--and gazed down at our city of Cairo. A couple girls were sitting up there with their school books chilling out and studying.
Later mosques we saw were more pretentious...I could get into a whole long thing about that...I'll save it for an editing job...got to run.

No comments: